Saturday 22 February 2014

Nat at the Pentathlon 2014

After the two last races I decided to approach the Pentathlon in a much smoother way. I didn't get to train properly this winter in between recovery from the worlds, injuries when I took back training etc. So yes I am not a fast skier or skater due to my technique, or lack of, but I did as much I could do to try and enjoy the race.
I decided to go there to aim for a top 10 women…I failed miserably.
The week before the race I got sick and that wasn't totally solved by the end of the week.
We left on Friday and got to Quebec City that same evening. When was time to go to bed I realized I had a swollen redness on the side of my knee that was pretty painful. I thought it might be a zit or something but it ended up being an infection (or at least it’s one of the possibility after a check in in the hospital two days later because the redness was expending). Anyway went to bed still in the mood of everything is gonna be fine. How can it be that horrible??


Well here the story comes. On Saturday morning we went to pick up my bike at GTH (great service and their mechanic is the best, thank you Oli). Brand new plates etc.. We then went to registration and to prepare our transition area. We had breakfast at 8am and had eaten nothing since. It was now noon. After eating a cereal bar and a banana we left for the start of the race. What was I thinking??? A special K bar and a banana???
The start of the bike was like last year, style le Mans. I realized quickly that I was a lot slower than last year but the conditions were better. 7min slower than last year..first shock. After thinking about it I have not touched a bike for the whole winter so that would teach me a lesson.
After the bike I was getting low in energy but decided I would eat a bar at the end of the run. The first lap was awful as my feet were frozen and painful. I felt better on the second lap but bonked on the third again. I then tried to eat but without too much success. Not even a half fruit2 and I left for the ski.
I was already about 10min slower than last year and was getting in the very back of the racers. The first lap of the ski was the worst bit of my race. I totally panicked when people were passing me (not always very friendly either). The second lap went a little better but the mental was so so down…On the third lap every single spectator was gone on the ski course…Just imagine the psychological impact that it can have and time it by 4 just because I’m a drama queen…
End of the ski …relief…only temporary.
You had to walk with your skates on for the whole length of the transition before being on the ice. What a stupid thing to enforce. It is the most dangerous thing to ask racers to do but oh well. When I got to the ice it was pretty impressive. The rink being about 420m it gets crowded fairly quick. I got hesitant and didn't have the energy to push it but I was still going. We had 20 laps to do. Do you know how hard it is to count 20 laps on skates??? After 12 laps I got confused. People were screaming to other people how many laps were left for them and I lost count. I tried to ask if there was a way to know and got no as an answer. James had finished by that time (as well as lots of the girls) and tried to cheer me up but I was desperate to know how many laps I was supposed to still do. I ended up getting out (apparently at the right number of laps) and just wanted to end that nightmare by then.
James pushed me to keep on going and so I went on the snowshoes. The first two laps were going ok as I was running with another man but the last lap I really hit the wall badly. I don’t even know how I pass the finish line. I realized on that last lap I had forgotten to drink during those 3 hours and in the same matter…to EAT!!!
I’m really not proud of myself neither for my performance nor for my lack of common sense with my nutrition and hydration. I guess it will teach me a good lesson.
I’m very thankful to James for cheering me on and up and for pushing me to not DNF.
On a brighter side I decided it is the end of winter and will start over my training with paddling running and biking…I will be BACK!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment