Saturday 1 February 2014

Winter ITU triathlon St Donat-9th Overall for James-5th woman for Nat

I did this triathlon last year, or should I say a winter triathlon there last year.
Daniel Poirier, Endurance Aventure, contacted me last year two weeks before the triathlon to invite me to this triathlon. The distances were 10km run, 14km ski and an 8km skate to finish. I told him then that I didn't know how to skate and his answer was that I would be fine, I had two weeks to learn. So I did, poorly but I did. I went to the race and was able to stay up right on skates (barely). Thanks to the run and a little bit the ski I managed to win last year. This year would be a totally different story.
To start with the distances changed totally. This year it would be not even half running and with snowshoes this time, so 4,2km, followed by a 12km skate and to finish with a 6km ski so pretty much half of the disciplines that I can manage for almost double of the one I can't... Anyway I thought, I will give it a shot.
Well this is the story of how I got my ass kicked!




We decided to come the night before so we could have a good night sleep. 
After a quick breakfast in the morning it was time to set up our transition area.


This is the second year that I go to St Donat de Montcalm and both year it was very cold.
We decided to go for a little jog just before the start to "warm up". On the start line with our snowshoes on our feet I am looking around and I didn't feel very fit suddenly. 
The start was there, all the girls went flying by me and within not even 500m I was puffing and struggling up the hill. 

Luckily for me most of the women left way too fast and were struggling too so I managed to pass a few of them on the uphill, sometimes just walking. On the downhill I was a little cautious cause I knew my knee was still a little week from previous injury and I wanted to make sure I could finish the race. Two of the girls passed me back then. 


The view of the transition made me happy, even if it was to jump on my least favorite part, the skate. 

I must admit that even for someone who isn't good at skating, this skating section is wonderful. It is a very nice path slightly up and down in the woods. There was 14 laps to do. As I changed from snowshoes to skate I struggled with my boots as the zip was frozen and I couldn't close it for a while.
The first 8 laps were fun. I was skating with another woman who kept passing me on the uphill and I was passing her on the flat bits. after the 8th laps I was getting tired but still wanted to beat her at the end of the skate.

By the 11th lap I lost control and hit the ice backwards. Thanks god the helmet was compulsory. Head and elbow touched first. I didn't feel too dizzy so I stood up and kept on skating. My elbow was painful but not enough to stop.

I finished the 14th lap happy to finally get on the skis.




I transitioned pretty fast and within a few minutes I was skate skiing....or at least trying to. The cold conditions turned my skate skis into sticky skis. I had no glide. Even the down hill parts I had to keep on skiing if I wanted to move forwards. The positive point there was that it was the same for everybody and after all when it's tough I am usually not too bad. At that point though I must admit I just wanted the race to stop. 

When I past the line I knew I was in the very back of the ranking. there was no chance for me to catch up the other girls after the skating section. 
However I was very lucky to find James there waiting for me with a warm jacket :)



I really pushed hard with my lack of technique there and yes it pissed me off to have a bad result but in another way it just gave me more motivation to get out there and train more.
Even if I know my skating cost me a few places I was happy with myself because in barely a few weeks of skating in my life I managed to average 16.5km/h. 
I now have 3 weeks to increase that speed to 20km/h for the pantathlon des neiges (setting up some goals there).

I am very proud of James who had a very good race, finishing in the top ten :)






 I am very lucky to have him taking care of me and helping train to reach my goals everyday.
That's why I want to thank him but also our wonderful sponsors without who this race wouldn't have been possible, Dynafit for their race clothing, Fruit 2 for the great bars, Nuun for keeping us hydrated, Osprey for our packs and Endurance Aventure for pulling out such a good race.
Also Thanks to Deanna for the pictures and support ;)


Nathalie


No comments:

Post a Comment