Sunday 11 May 2014

Storm the Trent, first official AR of the season- 1st place co-ed Team, 4th overall

After such a long winter, here it was, the first adventure race of the season!!!
James has raced Storm the Trent at least 5 times now and I (Nathalie) was at my third time.
This 8h adventure race doesn’t require great navigation skills, which was perfect for us.
Indeed, in our team of four, James and I (Nathalie) are not the navigators. With Untamed New England (5 day race) coming up, we wanted to improve our orienteering skills since we will all have to do part of an orienteering relay alone during that race. Storm the Trent wasn’t hard navigation but it would at least give us a little practice.
After camping the night before at the Golden Beach Resort (the host site) we were ready to tackle the race. I was a little worried due to the lack of training from my end on the biking and paddling. With the long winter and almost inexistent spring we had, my paddling and biking took a massive hit. However I was run fit which I guess helped a lot.
We hopped on a bus and were transported away from the resort to the start of the race. I didn’t realise it at the time but apparently we went a fair bit downhill on the bus.. But I would realise that a little later on whilst on the bike, climbing, climbing and climbing again…
We started on foot by a 4-5km trek. We ran well and the nav was spot on (I was navigating but it was very simple). We finished the run with only a few people in front of us. James took the maps and we went on a 30km MTB through paved and gravel roads and a lot of sand :/ Everything went very well for this part too and we got to the second transition in first place.


It was warm… a lot warmer than any temperature we have seen in months. I couldn’t get myself to eat much and I was drinking a lot. I took back the maps for the second trek/run. Nice little trails and once again very easy to find CPs. James had been pushing me and pulling me a lot already and I was worried he would bonk but nope… He is a MACHINE.
We managed to get out of the second trek tied for first place with a solo male competitor.
We left on the second bike in first place. The single track section of the MTB was coming and I was worried about the technical stuff but it went super well.
James was spot on on almost all the CPs, but we made a little navigational mistake that cost us a lot of time (about 10-15min). Once we finally found the CP, the second co-ed team (team of 4) was arriving and saw us at the CP so they were able to easily find it. We left again and made another small error, which led us to be passed by the other team. Shortly afterwards we caught back up and passed them again, trying to hammer it to the last little run (about 1km) before the last 2kms on the bike.
At that point we were both very dehydrated and couldn’t wait to get to the paddle section, which was the final leg of the race.
The little run up and down the hill on the 1km trek was very hard for us, but we managed to stay slightly ahead of the other team. We hopped back on our bikes and hammered to the paddle section. We hadn’t had any water for over an hour at this point and were so happy to be getting to our PFDs which had water in them. Happiness didn’t last!!! When we got to the transition area, they announced to us that we will have another run to do because the paddle section was very windy and had been shortened. Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
We told them we were expecting to see our water by then and they said we could go and get it but it cost us a bit of time and we could only drink a few sips since it was in a camel back, in the PFDs…
That run was about 3-4kms and it was the most awful I have felt in a race for quite a while.
I had barely had a few candies and half a bar in those five and half hours up to this point in the race and I was dehydrated on top of that… I was feeling more than Blah!!! James started to feel not so good either. After spending the entire day pulling and pushing me I wouldn’t blame him!!!
With the team of four being right behind us, we couldn’t slack off now, so we pushed it and got onto the water before them.
The canoe section was only 2 or 3 kms but it was awful conditions with some waves reaching about a meter high. I don’t know how we managed it but we went through without tipping and after lots of cursing from my end we made it to the finish line J

We ended up 1st Co-ed team and 4th overall (3 solo males ahead of us) in 6h27, only 7min from 2nd place overall.
I had a great race and felt powerful thanks to James’ power pulling and pushing me J And for us non- navigators, I think we did pretty well! Thanks Storm the Trent for a great adventure!
Next week will be another challenge at Raid Pulse since we are both racing solo. That will be the real test for me I guess J
Nathalie


No comments:

Post a Comment